Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"He has kids?? How great for you. More people to love!" -Alison Snook (my best friend since age 5)

Hola from Madrid!  My husband and I are on our honeymoon.  We had a layover in Amsterdam, three days in Madrid, tomorrow we travel to the Canary Islands, then 2 days in London and 1 day in Oxford dedicated to C.S. Lewis. 

We spoke with our eldest yesterday, and the younger two today (international communication is much easier than it used to be).  I keep asking how my oldest stapdaughter is doing, and as soon as the words are out of my mouth, I remember that I've been with my husband nearly all the time and he likely knows no more than I!

Before our marriage, my mother, in her usual kindness and method, took out two books about step-parenting from the library.  Both of them warned stepmothers-to-be to expect their honeymoons to be ruined by the intrusion of the kids.  How wrong those authors were.  They wanted the ribbon without the gift!

I miss my oldest the most, since I'm used to seeing her pretty often and keeping in touch with her near-daily.

So for what it's worth, ignore the books!  Recognize the beauty of your new family.  I cherish the time alone with my husband, I need it, and I cherish the opportunity to miss my stepkids!

No comments:

Post a Comment